Lighten up the classic chocolate chip cookie by using less butter. Super soft and filled with chocolate chips, these Healthier Greek Yogurt Chocolate Chip Cookies are a crowd favorite!
Bringing you updated photos of my favorite cookie recipe that lightens up a typical batch of cookie dough by 757 calories but are still soft and delicious. Originally posted August 2014.
I have an incredibly needy sweet tooth. Have you been able to tell? There are few days that I go without at least a little nibble of chocolate, a cookie, or a small scoop of homemade ice cream to satisfy my cravings. I could blame this on anyone, but let’s be honest, we all know it’s my own fault. I’ve learned to live with it though, and the most important thing to remember has been to have smaller portions of whatever sweet dessert I desire.
My friends and family thank me because they also have something tasty to snack on. My waistline thanks me, because well, it isn’t filled to the brim with desserts. It’s all about compromise. When I know I’ll be consuming more than I should, I tend to lighten up recipes where I can.
These Greek yogurt chocolate chip cookies are perfect – deliciously soft and chewy, and the entire batch was 757 calories less because I made a very simple swap. By replacing the usual 1 cup of butter in Nestle’s recipe with 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) and 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, I saved a ton of calories on the entire batch without sacrificing flavor. What more could you ask for?
Your dough will have a similar consistency to regular cookie dough. If you feel it needs some firming up, a quick 10 minutes in the freezer will do the trick. If you’re making this dough with enough time to spare, putting it in a bowl or bag and keeping it refrigerated overnight does wonders for the cookie’s final outcome. I’m not sure what kind of black magic goes on during the chilling time, but my mom swears by this method every Christmastime when we make about one billion cookies.
Look at those beauties! Super soft and chewy with just the right amount of chocolate chips.
Who would’ve thought Greek yogurt could create something so lovely? Have you tried this method of lightening up a baking recipe like this? If so, how did it work out? Let me know, I’m always curious to see how other people make their desserts a little healthier!
Healthier Greek Yogurt Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened, 1 stick
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels 12-oz. pkg.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.