Making your own Homemade Sweet Cream Ice Cream is a lot like making your own bread for the first time. It takes a bit of patience, but the finished product is so delicious and a million times better than store bought!
Hi there! Have you ever had a kitchen appliance you wanted so badly that you knew you had to have it (eventually)? I’m not sure other normal people love kitchen appliances as much as foodies do. Anyway, ever since I got my KitchenAid stand mixer, I knew I needed to have the Ice Cream Maker attachment.
Ice cream is one of those foods that transcends age groups and is acceptable for (and loved by) all generations. I love summertime because we have a favorite shop we go to and it’s always filled with all sorts of people. I always try to get something other than my go-to, a small size Ooey Gooey Oreo in a cup with crushed peanut butter cups, but I hardly ever do. It’s one of my favorite flavor combinations out there. Mmmm. Check out that beauty I posted on Instagram last summer!
I found myself with an Amazon gift card and knew the attachment had to be mine, even though we technically don’t have even a little more space in the kitchen for it to stay. I can only imagine that my future home is going to be filled with kitchen items and be empty everywhere else.
I’m already well on my way to having more dishes, plates, cups, bowls and cloth napkins than other kinds of useful home goods. Also, please don’t look under the chair in the living room, that’s where I keep my marble pastry board. (I am a shameful human.)
All kidding and jokes aside, this Homemade Sweet Cream Ice Cream was incredible, even if I did have a few ice cream mishaps while making it. The recipe is from the Ben and Jerry’s Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert cookbook that I also purchased on Amazon with the attachment. I can’t wait to freeze the bowl properly next time to get cracking on my long list of ice creams I want to make this summer! Stay tuned for more flavors that might hit the blog in the upcoming months.
What’s your favorite flavor? I’d love to toss in some cookie dough from my favorite cookie into the next batter!
Homemade Sweet Cream Ice Cream
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream or whipping cream
- 1 cup milk whole milk preferred
- Whisk eggs in a bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the sugar and continue to whisk until completely blended, about 1 minute more.
- Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on your ice cream maker to churn the ice cream. For the Kitchenaid Ice Cream Maker attachment, the completely frozen bowl must be secured to the base and dasher secured to the bowl.
- Once the drive assembly is attached to the motor head, the head must be placed in the down position and then locked. Be sure to turn on the mixer to the “stir” setting before pouring in your ice cream base.
- Allow the ice cream maker to churn your ice cream for around 20 minutes. Again, check with your particular model’s manual to be sure you are churning the ice cream properly.
- After churning to a soft serve consistency, scoop ice cream into a freezer-safe container and freeze for a few hours for a hard and scoopable ice cream texture.
- Add any desired toppings and enjoy!