Crispy egg rolls filled with your favorite savory breakfast foods – packed tightly with eggs, bacon, cheese and your choice of fillings. For an added healthy bonus, they’re baked instead of fried!
So, if we’re being totally honest, I’ve always been a sweet breakfast kind of person. I’d much rather have a stack of pancakes, crispy waffles covered in toppings, or french toast loaded with warm and decadent fillings.
If eggs, potatoes, and bacon come on the side of these lovely breakfast treats, I’m more than happy to eat them. It’s just that I hardly ever choose an omelette or scramble over a scrumptious stack of French toast. Old habits die hard.
There’s something about breakfasts that makes me smile inside. Maybe it’s because we’ve spent the last 6-12 hours unconscious and not eating? Or maybe it’s simply because breakfast is the best meal of the day (or just about tied with dessert.)
These breakfast egg rolls were really fun to make. I love big batch cooking, so whipping up a bunch of ‘filling’ items at the same time was enjoyable for me. I cooked bacon in the skillet, scrambled eggs in the leftover bacon grease, and then sauteed the onions in more bacon grease. These could totally be made healthier by using turkey bacon, egg whites, and using olive oil to sautee the onions in. I’m just a really big fan of bacon.
Breakfast egg rolls were my follow-up creation after falling in love with buffalo chicken egg rolls. There really is no limit as to what you can stuff inside an egg roll wrapper and bake. Well, I wouldn’t recommend marshmallows…they turn to liquid and disappear. We do a lot of experimenting in this house.
These little guys could also be compared to mini crunchy breakfast burritos. The big man and I have been enjoying crunchy things lately, and these are no exception. They’re loaded with bacon, eggs, cheese, and some sautéed onion for flavor.
Optional add ins include peppers, salsa, spinach, mushrooms…really anything you don’t mind in your omelettes would be fabulous in a crispy breakfast egg roll. If I liked ham or sausage more than bacon, I think that would’ve been lovely.
Setup is pretty simple once you have all of your ingredients prepared. Eggs are scrambled, bacon is fried, onions (and any other veggies you might want) are sauteed. Cheese is at the ready to be sprinkled atop the beds of breakfast egg roll filling goodness. Cheese is a necessary component to life. See: healthier turkey nachos and chicken parmesan. YUM.
Once the ingredients are all added to individual wrappers, it’s time to get crazy and wrap them up. This might be my least favorite part about making them, but only because I am the absolute WORST at things that even remotely resemble origami.
Story alert: one time in middle school we were required to fold a paper crane and hand it in for a grade. You can imagine my joy when I found one unattended on the ground in the hallway after I had panicked about not having folded one because I simply didn’t understand the instructions. In my defense, there were no words for instructions on the sheet we were supposed to follow and this was in a time before YouTube. I don’t condone theft or cheating, but I feel like this was a different circumstance.
Good news for you though, these egg rolls are simple to roll. If I can manage, you can too! I’ve included step-by-step photos so you can follow along. I promise I’m more clear than outdated origami illustrations.
These egg rolls are perfect for brunch and would probably make the best BFD (breakfast for dinner) appetizer. They get perfectly crispy in the oven and there’s no guilt because these aren’t fried at all.
First, wet the corners with a little bit of water, ala your finger or a pastry brush. Next, diamond shape, bottom folded up to top corner.
Two sides folded in, like it’s giving itself a hug.
Roll the egg roll so that the last corner is attached to the rest of the egg roll. Beautiful.
Bake until crispy! Couldn’t be easier. Are you a sweet or savory breakfast person?
Crispy Breakfast Egg Rolls
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 1 cup scrambled eggs
- 8 strips bacon cooked and chopped
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°. Lay egg roll wrappers on a clean work surface, such as a cutting board.
- Lay egg roll wrapper down with one point facing towards you.
- Begin by placing 2-3 tablespoons of egg, onion and bacon mixture evenly on top of the wrapper. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the shredded cheddar cheese over top. Be sure to not overfill wraps.
- To fold: Pick up the corner facing towards you and fold it up and over the breakfast mixture. Using your fingertip, put water on all edges so the wraps will seal. Take the right corner and fold it in to the center, making sure to slightly pinch the side so there are no openings. Repeat on left side. This will look roughly like an envelope. Roll the wrap upward, leaving the top corner open. Fold the remaining corner point down on top of the roll, sealing it like an envelope.
- Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Place the rolls on a cookie sheet (or on a cookie sheet with a baking rack on top) coated with nonstick cooking spray. If desired, spray each roll with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the rolls begin to crisp and turn a light golden brown.
- Serve with hot sauce, ketchup, or your favorite breakfast dipping sauce.