This One Pan Taco Skillet is simple, flavorful and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Plus, one pan means less dishes to clean up after dinner!
When you come home from school/work/wherever you are during the day – how do you make sure that your family eats dinner that isn’t cereal and milk? I give my mom and dad a lot of props for usually trying to make sure we were fed something (mostly) nutritious and filling for dinner when we were growing up. Although, I didn’t mind those days when I could have Oreo-O’s or Reese’s Puffs for dinner. Tell me your favorite childhood cereals so we can reminisce!
Now that I’m older, I cook for myself and the fiance. I also now realize how exhausting it can be. Nobody wants to fiddle around with dinner that could take an hour or more to prepare. We want dinner! When do we want it? NOW! And that, my friends, is how this One Pan Taco Skillet was born.
We usually reach for ground turkey instead of ground beef most times because it’s lower in fat. I actually prefer the taste of my Italian Turkey Meatballs over beef meatballs that I make because they’re not dripping in grease. Therefore, we usually have a ton and a half of ground turkey packages kept in the freezer for easy meals. We buy in bulk to save money and trips to the grocery store.
If you’re craving tacos but just can’t bear the thought of having to put all the individual toppings into bowls (because then you’ll have to wash said bowls), let the One Pan Taco Skillet take the wheel. It’s made with a super simple homemade taco seasoning, too. Mix in your favorite flavors or toppings straight into the pan. Or make it mostly plain (like I did here) and then have everyone sprinkle on their own toppings separately. Whatever you do, don’t forget about the cheesy topping! And definitely don’t forget about it when you leave it underneath the broiler. Who even does that? (hangs head in shame.)
This One pan Taco Skillet hits all the macros you might need if you’re trying to track those. Ground turkey for lean protein, cheese and a dollop of sour cream for fat, and a bit of rice for carbs. Plus, it makes excellent leftovers for the week when you don’t feel like cooking!
Check out that cheese!!
What’s your favorite one pan meal?
One Pan Taco Skillet
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 pound lean ground turkey
- 3 1/4 teaspoon homemade taco seasoning can substitute store bought
- 1 small can diced tomatoes *I used tomatoes with chiles
- 3/4 cups cooked rice
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- dollop sour cream
- fresh herbs for garnishing, such as cilantro, parsley or chives
- Preheat a skillet over a medium high flame. Drizzle pan with olive oil and add in ground turkey. Cook meat until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Drain liquid from the canned diced tomatoes. Add tomatoes and taco seasoning to browned turkey and stir. Heat for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add cooked rice to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Evenly spread cheese over the entire skillet. If using the broiler, preheat broiler to 400 degrees and heat until cheese is bubbly and brown. If you prefer to not use the broiler, cover skillet with a lid and leave over medium low flame for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Scoop desired portion out of the skillet and top with sour cream or fresh herbs as desired.
Keep the party going with these yummy Healthier Turkey Nachos!!
Looking for a low carb Mexican dish? I present to you, No Bean Turkey Chili!
Save this recipe for later on Pinterest using the photo below!