As a riff on an old favorite, the protein waffle is a fun way to have a little extra protein at breakfast without having to slurp down an uncomfortable protein shake.
Happy Thursday, friends! I’m writing to you from the hotel room in Disney World at a very late hour – we were up late taking advantage of the extra magic hours at the Magic Kingdom. I swear I could spend a whole day in that place. Anyhow, back to this waffle business!
Since I’ve been making it more of a point to eat better things and make healthier choices, I’ve been trying to have at least a little protein at every meal so that I won’t fill up on unnecessary carbs or fats. Although my ideal life would probably consist of eating just pizza and cookies, I know that isn’t really the best thing for my health.
These protein waffles were created when I really didn’t feel like having to wash the small frying pan I make my trusty chocolate chip protein pancakes. I seriously make those at least twice a week. They’re quick to whip up and fill you up in a better way than a bowl of sugary cereal does. At least I’d like to think so.
If you have a waffle iron, give these a try! They’re a fun way to switch things up when you’re getting tired of the same old thing every day. A little change is always a good thing 🙂
How do you enjoy breakfasts?
Small Batch Protein Waffles
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 10 grams protein powder I used vanilla
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cups milk almond
- splash vanilla extract
- chocolate chips optional
- fruit optional
- powdered sugar optional
- Combine oat flour, protein powder and baking powder into a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add in milk and whisk until lumps are dissolved.
- Preheat your waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions. Ours calls for one spray of nonstick cooking spray and about 5 minutes to preheat.
- Pour half the batter into the waffle iron, cooking to desired doneness. Leave your waffle in a little longer for that classic crispiness.
- Top with chocolate chips, fresh fruit, powdered sugar or anything your heart desires.